I Forge Iron

couple of student knives

Rashelle

Hoping this works. Here are a couple knives made by my students the last couple of days. They each went through a one day basics blacksmithing class then later went through the two day bladesmithing class. On the bladesmithing class they first made a "house mouse" (my name for the design since it looks like a cartoon mouse to me) herb chopper/ulu, they then made a larger belt knife. Each one is 1080, edge quenched in oil, triple tempered to straw on the edge. There is a little more finish work to be done on them, then sharpened. Handles are full tang with hickory slabs (we use hickory in the bow making classes a lot) and brass pins.

student house mouse.JPG

student knives.JPG

Thank you Charlotte and TJ. LOL Charles I wish I could of done that stuff for schooling.

I forgot to mention the knives are forged. The house mouse started as 4.5" of 1"x3/16" 1080. And the bigger knives as 5.5" of same. I think I like an earlier incarnation of the house mouse better that used 1/8". I just couldn't remember what I used, heehee. So when I cut the stock for the students I opted to give a little extra just in case. Might make it a little easier for them next time. As it is meant to get them started and while they are annealing they forge the bigger knife, while that is annealing they grind the mouse, etc. Nice flow with no down time. While they are grinding the blade bevels I use the band saw and rough cut their handle slabs. Think I might use a jigsaw in future and let them cut their own slabs. They use the drill for pin placement and the small 1"x30" belt sanders. I do whatever needs the other equipment. Which is minimal other then stock cutting. Some will profile or bevel with files also. Which is cool, time permitting though, heehee.

Thank you. The blade on my original example from the smaller stock is 3 1/4" corner to corner straight across the blade. On the thicker stock I'll have to check when I get into the shop later. I've got to go pick stuff up for converting one more of the propane forges to being able to forge weld for a 2 day axe class next weekend and cut said stock for two axes per student, as well as stock for practice forge welding. Luckily it's day 10 of 11 in a row and I already have the rest of the weeks stuff cut. Go in get the forge ready, cut stock, make a couple pair of axe tongs, then home. I'll try to remember to measure the demo one still at the shop. I'm not sure of the students example as I was rushing helping students and quickly took the pictures with my phone last night. He took his home with him, ......... darn it, heehee.

I'll try to remember to measure tomorrow. When I went to do so tonight, someone from outside had seen the forge fire and wondered in. Which distracted me from what I was doing. (I'd just added insboard to a forge that did not get welding heat, for a upcoming axe class, and had welded a sample axe.) As I had put the axe back in and was moving across to get the herb chopper is when the guy came into the shop from out in the dark. Luckily he was across the shop, in the doorway, when I noticed he'd came in as my reaction to being startled is rather aggressive. As is an adrenaline dump into my system with accompanying reflexive combative movements, distracted me. The good thing is he wasn't close enough to get hurt, and I am freshly reminded that my reflexes work. He was one of the adults that have taken some of the schools classes and had wanted to get into some of mine, so we chatted a bit.