I Forge Iron

door pull

MarkDobson

Figured while im in the posting mood id share a door pull i made for my dad to put on the wood shed we recently finished. i forged this from a piece of 3/4in round i had left over from a tong blank i had just made. i had no idea as to what i wanted to end up with when i started it and was on the fence about whether or not i was satisfied with how it turned out but after a little bit of clean up and some paint i can say im pretty happy with how it turned out.

IMAG0019.jpg

thanks! i squished it, didnt have enough to leave it round and make it large enough for a gloved hand to fit in. originally i was looking for a piece of flat stock in my pile but all i had that was flat was leaf springs and i just couldnt bring my self to use one for a door pull lol.

A down and dirty way to get matching bolts is to just stick the store bought ones like you have in the fire for a moment - I usually soak mine in vinegar first though to eat away the coating.  A second in the forge and you coat just like you do the handle (wax, paint, whatever).  I also grind off the little numbers on the head of the bolts from the store, but that's just me.