I Forge Iron

Kaowool with castable refractory forge?

Hi,  I'm still debating on how will I build my forge! I've read a lot on it and thought I would make the kaowool + satanite + ir coating. But now I've seen Wayne Coe forge on his Web site which is made from castable refractory over kaowool! I've not seen a lot of this kind of forge on the Web but for me it looks like the way to go. I want to do general small blacksmith projects, knife making and in the future make some long blades. I was thinking of 1 or 2 inch of kaowool with 1 inch of kast-o-lite +ir coating in the future! I would just put a solid form in middle of my casing, pour the end with castable, then put my kaowool, pour some castable around the form   and over the kaowool, and finally cover the kaowool at the front. So the wool is completely encapsulated by the castable  This way the concrete would support itself on each end when  cured and put horizontaly and it  would not crush the wool.  I just don't want to alway make repair on the coating so I thought it would be more durable this way and will endure forge welding in the future!  What are your thoughts on this configuration ?  Thanks! 

Welric, study the "Build a Gas Forge" attachment at the Forge Supplies page at www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com  That should give you all the information you need to build a good, efficient, long lasting forge.  I have teen age students in my shop and have been using that design for over 5 years and still have yet to need to reline or repair my forge.  I also carry my forge to conferences and meetings with no ill effects.

Let me know if I can help you,

Hey thanks for the reply Wayne! Actually I've read the attachment file you talk of but stil have questions! First, how thick should the kaowool and castable be? Second, should I cast over the wool in the chemney so that no wool is expose. How wide should the chemney be inside the forge? Do you pour the castable with a form or apply by hand? Should I wet the wool first? That's about it for now I think! Sorry for my bad english! thanks! :)

The ceramic blanket is 1", the castable is about 1/2".  Mix the castable about like mortar then trowel it in place.  I don't worry about casting into the burner shaft. The end of the burner should be able to go through the shaft.  After it is all cured install the burner then fill any gaps with scraps of the wool.  It helps to spritz the wool, not soak it.

I built my gas forge as you suggested by using the kaowool, then an internal form for the castable.  The castable I used wasn't really castable so much as rammable so I dropped  crumbly bits of it into the gap between the form and the kaowool, then packed it solid with a stick.  After drying I removed the internal form and painted the inside with ITC100.  I was trying for good insulation from the kaowool and durability from the castable.  The important thing for the castable is to let it dry as much as possible, then to heat it with the lowest fire you can until it really sets up.