I Forge Iron

Commercial Gas Forge Recommendations, please?

northtowntom

I live in a fairly densely populated neighborhood of North Las Vegas and in order to curtail my run-ins with Johnny Law, I've decided that it's probably easier to go with a gas forge.

I'm looking to do mainly small pieces - leather working tools, furniture hardware, etc., - so I'm not concerned about the capacity limitations of the forge.

I'm mostly concerned about efficiency. There's a propane refilling station within walking distance, which is good, as every vehicle I own is two-wheeled. But I don't necessarily want to be running over there three or four times a day.

I've looked around the web and on this site, and I've not been able to find that much information as to how much gas I will go through.

And as I'm a leatherworker first and a woodworker second and a complete noob to metalworking, I don't have the ability to make my own. Even if it's really easy. My budget isn't enormous, but I'm definitely going to purchase one.

I'll make the next one. I promise. :)

So here are the questions:
1) Do you have good experiences with a commercial forge on the market?
and
2) How often does it need a new tank?

Thanks in advance, all!

I have a NC Forge Whisper Momma Open End atmospheric gas forge Centaur Forge-NC Whisper Momma Atmospheric Forge, Open End Model
that operates at 3 - 4 psi for regular forging without the cost of the air blower unit/electricity. close the ends and the front door and it will heat up whatever fits inside with no problem. A 20lb propane cylinder will last fairly well, but I'd recommend buying a 40 lb cylinder which for a couple hours a day will last for a few weeks. I also have a Mankel 3 burner air blown gas forge I bought off EBay real cheap in one of my best scores ever Centaur Forge-Mankel Open-End 115 volt Triple Burner Forge
which will run on low psi's as well and will get forge welding temps, but unless you get lucky to find a used one they are fairly expensive. Depends on if you want a round one or box one, but most commercial forges are fine....just a budget question.

Leather working tools could probably be done in a micro or "bean can" forge run off a good propane torch tip. Get an adapter to run it off a BBQ tank and you could probably run for months!

Furniture fittings can get large amd may even require a specially designed forge depending on what you are doing.

venturi (naturally asperated) forges do not use more gas than blown forges.

The operating PSI pressure is a meaningless figure without quoting the gas jet (orifice size). So a lower psi through a bigger hole could be using a whole lot more gas!

As I understand it a 'neutral' burning flame, with complete combustion needs 27 (or 29?) times the volume of air to propane, blown or venturi this neutral burn 'figure' cant be changed.

A blown forge will be easier to 'tune' than a venturi though.

There is a guy who posts on 'Anvilfire' called Ken Schar..... cant quite remember his surname. He sells a very cheap, usefull looking gas forge on ebay (poor boy blacksmiths tools). It would be a good starting point.

I think the 'Chilli' forges look a well made product. (ive never used either of the 2 above, but have read good things about them)

hope this helps a bit.