I Forge Iron

Greetings from Seattle

My kids (8,10) asked me if we could o some blacksmithing* so I said yes, because I'm a sucker for anything that does not involve screen time. The next day I found a coal forge on the local CList and bought it. Now they are helping looking for the rest of the tools we need (anvil, leg vise.) This activity will round an existing home shop set up to do light forming, welding, and machining. My day job is in a shipyard, fabricating aluminum boats and inspecting welds. I look forward to participating in the conversation here.

" It's easier to jump in, than wade in."

depending on where you are out that way, you might try and get in contact with member TMIB here. I believe he does some smithing with Scouts out that way.

www.iforgeiron.com/topic/42003-building-low-walls-around-a-smithy/

Stupid "forbidden" message won't let me post the whole link....

Edited by DSW

Good Morning, Craig

You live in a Hot-Bed of Blacksmith activity. North West Blacksmith Association www.blacksmith.org  is their website.

They have monthly get togethers at the Fairgrounds in Longview, Wa. They also have a "Spring Conference", late April or early May, which has a large section called "TailGate Sales". This is an area where different people will sell their surplus, purchase what they are looking for as well as learn from different demonstrators. There are a lot of members in the greater Seattle area. Most anybody will stop to talk, unless they are in the middle of something.

Look forward to meeting you. I always go to the Spring Conference, the monthly get togethers are the same day as our meeting here.

Neil