I Forge Iron

Some "head scratcher" top swages and a milk crate full of other stuff

twodogzz

I've been inactive for a while still building up tools to get the shop going. Scored a milk crate full of top tools, riveting tools, a couple of tongs etc.

Some of these are head scratchers as far as what they are designed to do.

First up is this beast. The pin in the middle is beefy, but I can't see it holding up if it takes much force. Perhaps it registers in an already punched hole. As for the V-grooves I can only imagine forge welding 2  bars on the 45 degree edge WITH a hole drifted through. Perhaps it punches (or registers a hole in round bar and squares it? The joinery for the crossed bars is a mystery to me.

Any thoughts?

IMG_0039.thumb.jpg.6cf9d0928083f14e0e896

There's another with identical dimensions but no center pin. It's not deep enough for the faces to meet without the pin interfering so they are not a matched set. And they are both top tools.

IMG_0038.thumb.jpg.ef58e666b2d88d870a62b

Then there's this guy.  The square face is about 1/8" proud of the outside edge. We're setting a good square corner for something but I don't know what or how. 

IMG_0040.thumb.jpg.7faa58f779baa1ee4a0c3

This one  I just can't figure the offset. Should be a beefy fuller though.

IMG_0042.thumb.jpg.46a8e3bdc905849284df9

Thought this was a hardy tool and it might be, but the taper is backwards. Maybe just a handheld top swage?

IMG_0044.thumb.jpg.5b0acf6e4addd3ae4c8f6

Ay special reason this one would be tapered back from the face?

IMG_0045.thumb.jpg.1408435c25af63dc2f152

Here's the entire haul.

IMG_0047.thumb.jpg.64bee3962f66488c55f95

I might go into the rivet making business.

The large tongs at the bottom are 7 pounds and 29" long. I should have put something in the picture for scale. They are ridiculously huge. That's a lot of beef for some 1" flat-nibbed bolt tongs. I may cut these reins down a bit and draw out some of that meat to make them more manageable. These feel like they would wear out your arm faster than swinging a hammer all day and will, most likely survive the apocalypse.

And the one that got cropped out on the right is basically a hardy hole on a stick. It does have a circular depression on one side but it's not deep enough for a header and the edges are pretty chewed up. Unless otherwise advised I'll use this as a bolster for making hardy tools and keep the heat off the face of my anvil. 

Third from the right of the top tools also cropped is a sweet, beefy countersinking puch.

Only one touchmark I found on the "hardy hole header". It's a horseshoe with the open end down, with an "A" in the middle.

Questions or comments welcome, and if you see anything you might find useful I'd trade a few of them for a nice flatter or tongs or a KMG grinder, or an air hammer.

Edited by twodogzz

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the first couple of X shapes were tools used for redressing star drill points, the type used for quarry blasting or well drilling over a century ago. The one with the pin was for hollow bits that water flowed thru. I swear that I have seen similar tools in a museum, somewhere, long ago.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that the first couple of X shapes were tools used for redressing star drill points, the type used for quarry blasting or well drilling over a century ago. The one with the pin was for hollow bits that water flowed thru. I swear that I have seen similar tools in a museum, somewhere, long ago.

Wow. Never thought about that kind of application. Makes sense about the pin.

Good call.

You were right. Look what I found on eBay:

mOdwhLL4jWKYdtP9ViT0pDw.jpg

Knowing what to google for is 99% of the battle. Never considered they could be for the end of a bar rather than for crossed bars. That gives me some crazy ideas.

Well done sir.

What part of Charlotte do you live in? I am a former resident of the great metropolis called Shuffletown.

Edited by twodogzz

East side: Idlewild Road, where Charlotte, Mint Hill & Matthews meet. Grew up here when it was still country, and a boy with a dog and a shotgun could roam freely, and the Sherriff's Deputy in a patrol car would just slow down and wave. But looking to move out to the metropolis known as Frog Pond in Stanly County in the next few years, so I can have a shop.

And yeah, I remember Shuffletown Dragway.

Hardy hole on a stick sounds a lot like a wrench to turn a square shaft...

The hardy with the wrong taper may just have been used as a top tool mushrooming the taper wrong over time.

Special reason for the hammer shape?---Yes the smith who made it wanted it that way!

Beefy Fuller sounds like an ID to me...

I use some of the replaceable star drill points with my screw press to do ornamental impressions on stock x's or +'s

Edited by ThomasPowers

• 2 weeks later...