I Forge Iron

First tongs

4JS

Good Morning,

A very good start, for what I can see. The areas that are the most critical are the corners from the hinge area to the jaw and from the hinge area to the start of the reins. It is a common mistake to make them too thin in those areas. That is the area of most leverage, from the reins.

I always start with the jaw, then the hinge area, then the start of the reins. turn them around and hold them by the jaw and continue on the reins, 3" at a time, finish them and break the edges. Doing it this way, you don't have to go back over them.

Neil

Good Morning,

A very good start, for what I can see. The areas that are the most critical are the corners from the hinge area to the jaw and from the hinge area to the start of the reins. It is a common mistake to make them too thin in those areas. That is the area of most leverage, from the reins.

I always start with the jaw, then the hinge area, then the start of the reins. turn them around and hold them by the jaw and continue on the reins, 3" at a time, finish them and break the edges. Doing it this way, you don't have to go back over them.

Neil

thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'm teaching myself through books and info on here. For the post part learning as I go. 

I wish the Gunthers were still doing classes because im only a few miles from their shop.

The biggest mistake people make starting out (I know, I knew better than the old Dane Blacksmith I took my first course with), when you have the jaw defined and turn the piece around to draw out the rein -  DON'T START AT THE END OF THE REIN, FIRST!!!!!! Start where you left off near the hinge area and work 3" at a time toward the tip of the rein. This way, you are not putting the smallest section of the rein in the hottest part of the fire and burning it off!!!!!

The Danish Blacksmith saw me do it, when I was in a hurry. He didn't say a word, he let me learn the Hard Way. The silent Lesson, a little knowing smile.

Neil