I Forge Iron

Graphite recipes

Joel OF

Hi folks,
I've just ordered 2kg of natural graphite powder (and am being sent a freebie sample of micronised graphite from another supplier) so I'm going to experiment mixing it with a variety of waxes and paints for internal and external finishes.
Out of curiosity, what you mix your graphite with and in what proportions?
Cheers

As you know I have a sack of graphite Joel. But for those following the thread …I use it with either Renaissance wax or the Molyslip Metal Lubricant on my punches, and any other hot working tools requiring lubrication.

I use it with the wax as a temporary finish to visually pull the multi coloured surfaces of a forged object together so you can see the form without colour distraction.

I use it in eggshell/semigloss paint to to create a burnished finish which will bring back the forged texture of the metal even after Galvanising or Hot zinc spray.

Incidentally Hofi called me on Sunday. He recently celebrated his 80th birthday and had 50 'smiths visit, and they made a sculpture to celebrate!

Alan

I use it with either Renaissance wax

I remember reading in a recent BABA mag that focused on finishing that Peter Parkinson does some of his internal finishes with this combo after pickleing. I stopped in at the Fire and Iron gallery on my way back from the New Forest to grab a pot but Lucy said they were all sold out!

I normally finish my interior work with the common beeswax, turps and linseed mix, so I reckon my first port of call will be mixing up a new tub and sprinkling some graphite in to see what happens. I'd imagine that will give a nice look but I'm guessing that graphite needs to be mixed in with some that'll set hard so it can't rub off on fingers/clothes etc. I guess there's only one way to find out!

I picked up some Liberon "Iron Paste" and I might try and get some Stovax Grate Polish as well, both off the shelf paste/polishes/gunk that contain graphite for smartening up your fire places. My gut feeling is that using graphite is going to be quite an involved process and maybe not a system I'll use on my £8 bottle opener keyrings, but more likely something saved for candleabras worth a few hundred quid.

Before I mixed my own up (both the base Renaissance wax and the graphite mix) I would buy Zeebrite grate black and then thin it down with white spirit to a paint brushable consistency. Thinner the better. It takes for ever to apply to a rough surface otherwise.

Alan

Before I would buy Zeebrite grate black

Yeah I think that stuff became Stovax. A couple weeks ago when Googleing graphite pastes I ended up on some obscure forum where people were singing Zeebrite's praises but were saying you can't get it anymore. Someone then piped up about Stovax & the consensus seemed to be that it was the new version/same product. Did it take long to dry when you thinned it down?