I Forge Iron

Bogdan Popov's anvil updated

Thanks Frosty and everyone! You may call me even a pot just don't put me in the oven !(russian saying):D

Yes Frosty , as you mentioned absolutely correct heating this anvil is't that hard.  Firstly you heat only face  and not the rest to get the real zone hardening and proper qualities (one of them is that anvil is very silent while being really hard.).  The anvil is around 30 kilos so it is possible even for single person to handle around .  However assistant would be good.  

The real problem is actually  how to temper the horns  afterword otherwise they fall off with the first hammer blows.   Another thing is the quality of casting itself  (pores and cracks or maybe something else) and here you can't really do anything but prey and maybe  bring a bottle of cognac  to the caster before. 

The innovation will be really fun I tell you!

Bogdan

Okay, Bogdan it is and no oven. I wouldn't know how long to bake Tovarish anyway.

You're casting steel? Wow, I'd have to have it done n the other side of the country. I think a bottle of cognac is cheap insurance.

How are you tempering the horns, torch?

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I do not cast myself.  I just carve the form  from rigid  foam and give to the foundry.   It's a huge anmount of equipment and huge amount of energy.  The whole factory.  They put the form in sand and then make what is called evaporative method of casting forcing the liquid metal under pressure.  One foam form -one anvil.  But as I said lot's of problems.  Wish I had access to some modern foundry somewhere in the developed world but they will probably charge a fortune.

All the hardening and tempering  I do in my ordinary side blast char coal forge.  The only diffrence I arrange it right on the ground  level outside .  Lot's of charcoal, of course.  But fun! Especially when it close to the evening.    Like Guy Fawkes night

This thread doesn't like me I keep getting disappeared. I miskeyed and it looked like I was commenting on you doing the casting. I was getting frustrated with the forum software. I haven't tried replying since last night so I'll cross my fingers.

Frosty The Lucky.

hello Bogdan, I like the evolution of your anvil. I somehow follow your anvils for some time, since seeing them on here for the first time. I was always tempted by a small portable anvil, and also I contemplate the idea of making myself an anvil to my own specifications. but, "unfortunately" I already have too much anvils of different sizes and patterns so I don't need it badly and it's not very reasonable to invest the little spare time and money I have, but maybe someday... till then I just "meditate" about the shape and making methods. the thing I was feeling that I would miss on your first anvils was exactly the pyramidal horn which brings so much in terms of versatility. now I see it so cleverly added in your new design. congratulations!

how much they charge per kilogram of cast steel? I am thinking from a long time to find a foundry here (Romania - it seems we are neighbours) able to work with on such project.

• 3 years later...

I love your anvil! I stumbled upon an image of it a long time ago and could never find it again... until today. I'll either have to make one myself some day or pay you to ship me one up to canada (Ontario). I understand you may not wish to get into the anvil selling buisness but I would certainly buy one off you if I could afford it...