I Forge Iron

Gifts from Midwest Farrier School

I recently contacted all my local farrier school asking if I could buy some rasps. I am located in and and the only other farrier who responded back was from Georgia and they were charging $8-$10 a rasp. So I contacted Midwest Farrier School in Illinois because I saw a video on YouTube of the process of shoeing a horse which I found really interesting. As some of you all know, they said they were going to send me the rasps for free, not even a shipping charge! So I got the package today and how thrilled was I! They not only sent me 5 raps, but the sent me 3 horseshoes, a pair of horseshoe tongs, a copy of the American Farrier Journal, and a Midwest Farrier School T-shirt which is very comfortable by the way! I never expected any of this to occur and they just made my day or even year! What a treat too because today was my first day of school. I am so thrilled and if I ever am going to become a farrier what I would like to do, or even just learn for fun, I am going to definitely go to Miswest Farrier School. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Good score. I love farrier's rasps. Once the teeth are too dull for hot rasping, which takes a xxxx of a lot of rasping, most will make a decent chopper. I like to try to retain the pattern when I forge one into a knife. Some of those look like Save Edge rasps to me. If any are Bellota, I know that many Bellota rasps are case hardened. Either way, quench test a piece before spending time forging a knife or anything that you want to be able to harden.