I Forge Iron

problems with assemetrical grinds

Q Fausey

So I have be forging knifes for a wile and just got a nice grizzly knife making belt sander and have noticed a trend in a lot of my knifes they all have assemetrical grinds and one edge always ends up flatter than the other edge. I hammer my bevles in wile forging and never see any problems till I grind them. Any suggestions would be mutch appricated. Thanks

Edited by Q Fausey

Are you marking the center of the cutting edge and your target grind height on the bevels for reference points?  You said you just got the grinder so I assume that means you don't have a lot of experience grinding yet.  Most of us are dominant in one hand or the other.  For me at least that means grinding one side feels more natural and comfortable to me than the other, which results in a better grind on one side.  If I don't scribe or otherwise mark my targets for my grinds then even the same number of swipes on each side will still result in uneven grinds.  As simple as grinding seems, it still takes practice to get it right and consistent.  My main suggestion is to mark your blades where you want  your grinds to end up and then practice, practice, practice.  It will get better.   I'm assuming in all of this that you are correct and your forged bevels are centered on the blade and have pretty much the same angle and height on the blade to begin with.  If not, then that's your starting point.

I'm assuming what you are describing is happening during the forging process.  Pretty common.  Two things that might help.  First, a post anvil makes it easier to work both sides of the blade.  Second, I always lay my blade flat on the anvil to see how strait the edge is and sight down the edge keeping it centered with the recasso.  Don't over work your edge, it's better to keep things strait than try to forge it perfect and grind it all away.