I Forge Iron

Sandbox Anvil Stand

Hi,

I was looking around the forums to make a new anvil stand since I out-grew my other one. I cam across a sandbox anvil stand which I am thinking is perfect. The only problem is that I am a little confused on gow it works, and how to make one. Does the anvil just sit on sand? Also, if I am going to make one I don't have a welder so it will have to be a basic design. I was thinking of making the box out of plywood connected by angle iron, but I don't know how the inside of the stand works with the sand and what the anvil stands on. Can someone please help me out on how o make one, and if you have any pictures of sandbox stands that can help me understand how they work, and also how to build one.

Thanks for all your help

Yes, the anvil sits on sand.  If your anvil base will fit inside, you can try the concept with a cut down steel drum.  Cut to the right height, fill with sand and put the anvil on top.  It ay shift around with heavy work - but it's easy to reposition.  Seems to work better with anvils above 250 lbs but a smaller one should still settle with time.

I learned about the sandbox in Otto Schmirler's book. * I clamp mine with two flat bars, a hole in the ends. Allthread cut and welded to the box sides at an angle coming up through the holes. The bars sit on the anvil base, one under the horn and one under the heel. Nut & bolt it to keep it from swimming around in the sand.

* "Werk und Werkzeug des Kunstschmieds"

Edited by Frank Turley

How much the sand will shift depends on what kind it is. No, not quartz vs. choral, Alluvial vs. angular. Alluvial is made by rocks grinding against each other in a stream of water river beach, etc. the grains are rounded and smooth so they can slide against each other easily. Angular sand is made by harsher mechanical action such as in a talus slope or rock crusher. angular particles key together and don't shift if compacted.

You can mix a little angular sand and a LITTLE 3-4% clay to alluvial sands and it will compact like a brick. Dry angular sand will compact hard without sticking together like a clay additive will.

If you use angular or alluvial + angular sand compacting is easy. Set your anvil on it and tap the sides with a hammer enough to vibrate it and it'll settle hard.

If you use sand + clay you'll need to dampen it slightly and mechanically compact it from the top with a rammer. It can be dry vibrated but won't achieve full compaction. Then again you aren't laying a foundation for a road or building so full compaction isn't necessary.

Frosty The Lucky.

Huh!  it looks like everyday sand  to me,  I'm sure they are heavy but they get hauled around to meets a lot.  I have another pic somewhere of a 500# anvil on a sandbox.  I was told they added or subtracted sand as needed to fit workers appears to be self leveling.  If I can find a piece of tubing large enough I'm considering replacing my stump with it.