I Forge Iron

Best burner to purchase: Diablo?

78sharpshooter

I am doing more forging of items to sell and now that I have my 88lbs self contained hammer I am forging 3 to 4 billets at a time. With my homemade 2 burner forge (2" of wool, sodium silicate soaked, mortar coated, and kaolin/zirconia silicate coated with standard mig tip burners with milled slot air intakes) I came to wonder if the burners for sale from companies such as chile forge are really worth the money in terms of heat generated. Basically, my question is would I notice a significant reduction in the time it takes to heat my billets if I bought professionally built burners? I would just like to hear observations from you all before I drop $400 on 2 burners.

A Smith up at 7000' uses a ribbon burner for his forge. Using it for heating some  2.5" sq stock the forge was hot enough that another user of it accidently welded a piece of 3/4" round stock to my 2.5" sq by just pushing their piece up alongside it.

I might also suggest you ask Mr Hrisoulas what his set up uses as he does the next 50' of billets...

Edited by ThomasPowers