I Forge Iron

4140 hammer

ausfire

I have had very little (as is no) experience with power hammers, so it was good to be able to watch a couple of blokes who know their way around these monsters rough out a hammer from a lump of 4140.

The steel was a pin from a locomotive coupling about 1.5 inches diameter. The first step was to upset it a little on the Massey. Then a rectangular punch worked from both sides. The hole was drifted using a hammer eye drift made from a Toyota axle.

A couple of pics follow. I know Frosty likes photos.

DSC_4333.jpg

DSC_4326.jpg

DSC_4327.jpg

DSC_4325.jpg

Yes I do. Ausfire: (Andrew?) Don't fret brother using power hammers will become second nature in no time. Seriously, you'll get the hang of it in half an hour max. Sure, forging a hammer head is a bit advanced for a first go but it's not some kind of elite masterwork thing. Really.

You'll be hunting for a beautiful Massey like that, probably right now. I'd LOVE to have a fluid drive powerhammer like that be it a: Nazel, Chambersburg, Massey, Kuhn, Anyang, whatever. The control is exquisite and the power is awesome.

Thanks again for the pics. Oh, I'm really impressed with the foot guard they put on their hammer, great idea. It's just so easy to drop things and a 2lb./1kg hammer head from that height on your toe smarts.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

Yeah, Frosty, it's an awesome machine, but well beyond my needs or capabilities (and I don't have 3 phase power at my place). I have often wondered about one of those light 15kg Anyangs though - I mainly do light work but drawing out even 3/4 bar is tedious. Anyone have any experience with them? I'll have a look in the Power Hammer forum.

It's great to watch these big hammers in operation though. Awesome.

I've gotten to use a Kuhn-40 and at Bob Bergman's a few years ago his shop Nazel 3B. In both cases the control was exquisite. I could just brush the scale off the stock or hit so hard it flattened a 1 1/2" sq. bar barely showing color thinner than auto body metal with a single blow with the Nazel. That's around 360lb. tup and so versatile a guy could get used to and come t LOVE it in minutes.

The K-40 Kuhn was a sweet machine to be sure but in a different class entirely, no surprise comparing a 88lb. hammer to a 360lb. hammer.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, Frosty, it's an awesome machine, but well beyond my needs or capabilities (and I don't have 3 phase power at my place). I have often wondered about one of those light 15kg Anyangs though - I mainly do light work but drawing out even 3/4 bar is tedious. Anyone have any experience with them? I'll have a look in the Power Hammer forum.

It's great to watch these big hammers in operation though. Awesome.

Great pics there Ausfire. Has the hammer been finished up yet? 

I know the feeling regarding a power hammer. I've been doing an awful lot lately and even a small power hammer would make everything go so much faster. 

Andy