I Forge Iron

Just picked up my first Post Vise

Culver Creek Hunt Club

If there is old grease in there it will be old grease and dust particles. More than likely they will be grinding dust particles and therefore abrasive. You should consider cleaning it out completely rather than just squirting more lubricant on. I tend to pack the thread box with graphite grease and then leave well alone...unless I have to do some grinding with the jaws wide open and the screw exposed, then I either try and cover it or wipe it clean before closing. 

Good best practise, but sometimes you forget, sometimes you are in a rush, sometimes it's your assistant... Amazing what they survive :)

Alan

If there is old grease in there it will be old grease and dust particles. More than likely they will be grinding dust particles and therefore abrasive. You should consider cleaning it out completely rather than just squirting more lubricant on. I tend to pack the thread box with graphite grease and then leave well alone...unless I have to do some grinding with the jaws wide open and the screw exposed, then I either try and cover it or wipe it clean before closing.

Good best practise, but sometimes you forget, sometimes you are in a rush, sometimes it's your assistant... Amazing what they survive :)

Alan

Thanks Alan, Planning on breaking it down, getting rid of paint and cleaning everything. I was talking about lubricating on the re-assemble.

I have great faith in graphite as a good safe lubricant which can prevent friction even when the liquid grease has gone, so I always go for that. Clean conditions I have silicon grease and spray, haven't tried your lithium one. I have used rennaissance wax with graphite in for hot punching and have often used it on other things like press tools to give a non sticky heat capable lubricant. Scale falling off your workpiece is highly abrasive, just try polishing your hammer face in the scale by the anvil. If that can come anywhere near a moving part, slide, thread or bearing it can cause a lot of wear. So your lithium sounds like it could be good.

Alan