I Forge Iron

forge blower

FRODO,

hello,  complete newbie,  dont know squat. so be nice,,,no biting the newbie!!!!!

going to make a forge, have been looking for a blower,,did not want to go the hair blower route,  i came across a 

hvac,  gas flue exhaust blower...

any comments as to if this idea is ok or just plans insane?  i figure about 5' of duct  reduced to 2'' at the pit

forge blower 002.JPG

forge blower 001.JPG

r_stov10.jpg

r_stov12.jpg

r_stov11.jpg

Edited by frodo

Is this the forge or are you thinking about converting it? Didn't you just post a bunch of these individually from your gallery section?

Posting them all in one message is a lot more convenient to folk viewing them than individual links to the gallery.

We'll need to know more about what you have in mind for a forge and what fuel you want to use. The size of forging you'd like to do makes a difference too.

Frosty The Lucky.

HWooldridge,  it is a rocket stove,  i was in chat,  and could not figure out how to post a picture their..i posted it here

makes an excellent squirrel stew,  

Frosty,  I have an old grill,  on a stand,  a052469dfb349ba7b12fccb4723cda18.jpg

nothing special,  i figure for my first,  that should be good enough. will be doing small work,  RR spike knives and such

probley use charcoal for fuel,  i have a gas toy already, LOL  do not need another

Edited by frodo

Many folks swear by the HVAC flue exast fans. They are reliable, provide good air and dont mind heat. 

Take a look at the solid fuel section, lots of posts describing side blast and bottom blast forges. I recoment looking very hard at the "55" forge, particularly the simple and side blast versians. Many peaple do fine work with brake drum and brake rotor forges but I find them to be more work and expence to build. Many have built their own firepots with great success for bottom blast forges and side blast are as easy if not more so. One particular nice setup using plumbing parts (as many brake drum forges do) is to use a 6 or 8" to two inch reducer  for a fire pot, a peic of 1/2 bent into a "S" makes a fine grate. Don't fall in to the trap of building to much forge at first and use some king of air controll to conserve fuel, keep from cooling the fire, keep the fire from becoming oxidizing and to keep from blowing fuel out of the pot