I Forge Iron

First welded hinges

I've made some big gate hinges, rolled barrels and lagged pintels, but never little hinges like this.
Thin stock, from fake barrel hoops, took a couple tries to get the first bend straight, rolling the barrel was interesting, as the stock would cool quickely.  I only checked my Peter Ross notes (saw him demo the jigs once)  after I was done, the image on the bottom is the simple jig to roll the barrel.

But the welds! They were the lesson learned. I've tried getting thicker stock up to proper heat for welding more times than I can count, and my welding is sort of hit or miss.  This time, I set up the fire (windy enough to burn coal yesterday) the way I'd seen  another smith set it up, more like an amphitheater than a cave.  An open topped depression in the fire and was able to watch the fluxed leaves of the hinge get right up to almost sparkly heat and then weld them.  A bit incomplete, but grinding the edge shows mostly no line.  Much easier to judge the temp in this thin stock than I would have thought.

Need to make more with the jig, and finish my bolster plate so I can punch the holes instead of drilling them.

WeldedHinge.jpg