I Forge Iron

Cast or Forged?

hmm... beeing on a blacksmithing forum... If i whoud want 2 sell you a fake that would look like that it whoud be easyer for me to forge it by hand or some kind of hammer but not drop hammer .If i want 2 sell hundreds than i whould invest into a drop hammer and some dies...quite expensive thow for making 1...5...50 replica.Even casting it for me probably whoud be 2 mutch of a trouble.I think you need the original one or a forged/machined one in orderd 2 make the mold and then all the rest of the casting proces.Just my thought

"blacksmithing" does not mean not using tools---remember that the power hammer is over 1000 years old, older than using coal in the forge!

I think the term you want to use is when does it stop being "hand made" or "hand crafted". A common definition deals with craftsmanship of certainity vs craftsmentship of uncertainty. If the skill of the smith is mandatory to make the piece come out right then it's still handcrafted. If anyone could put the blank into a drop forge and get the same result, then it's not.