I Forge Iron

maybe a new forge

You are REALLY over thinking a solid fuel forge buddy. I don't know what I'd do with that piece of SS but I'd find something easier and lighter for a fire pot. No need for insulation unless you're making the forge table and pot from wood. No, I'm not joking, lots of solid fuel forges were/are made of wood. 3/4" layer of ash will shield a steel gold pan for a long long time as a fire pot. If you want a little heavier a nice old stamped steel differential cover would be outstanding. My coal forges have duck's nests and bricks for fire size/depth control.

On the other hand Charles is always talking up side blast forges. No need for a fire pot at all with a side blast. Now, just put that SS thingy down and back away S-L-O-W-L-Y nobody's back needs to get hurt! ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the advice.  Honestly I was planning on making my first forge smaller but this presented itself so I snagged it up thinking it would work. I do BS as a hobby and as such I don't mind investing time but am loath to invest money. Steel drums and brake drums and such are nice but the only access I have to those things is if I buy them. Also most of the time these (clamps we call them) stay with the customer that buys them. In this instance I got to take it home with proper permission from the customer and the company I work for. So I grabbed it up. Perhaps I did get a little excited and start over thinking but most times, stuff I can get is either too small or WAY to big (think 16" line enclosure, made from 20" cover pipe, 49" on the inside, made from 1 1/4" thick SS with 4" thick ears that weighs over 8k pounds.) Just wanted my first forge to be my last so, I wanted to make what I thought to be right so it would last. Again I started overthinking. Got excited.  I understand a wood box lined with clay, I've been using a hole in the ground lined with clay :), but I just got my smithy built after 2 years (well not really...it's a lean-to with walls off the side of another lean-to with walls so I could play in the rain and stay dry) and used the last of my salvaged wood with that LOL. Seriously, I literally had a 4" and 3" piece of 2x4 left. So I wanted something I could put inside and it be permanent as most of the scrape I get these days is industrial in nature. Small things. B7 studs of various sizes, small cutoffs of angle, odd pieces of plate and the like. I miss the days of framing houses when I could have scraped together a building in a couple of weeks.  Haven't done that for over 10 years now and my saved up supplies are gone.

So, as far as using the SS goes unless there is some reason why I shouldn't, I would like to since it is here and available. Just maybe stop overthinking the dam thing and build it. As far as my back getting hurt, well I install these for a living and actually put this one on (it has 2 halves) alone. Honesty this one is on the small side. Not say I'm He-man but it's really not that heavy. But thank you for your concern over my well being...I KNEW you cared =D

Edited by Panzer
Clarity

I'm surprised brake drums/disks are hard for you to locate. My mechanic has a drum full of them that they took off and replaced at inspection because of wear. My mechanic is happy to give me one if I want. Cost of scrap iron is way down right now, so the dead ones really aren't worth all that much. It's almost more expensive to take them to the scarp yard to get rid of them.

Your first forge to be your last?????  Just like you wanted your first car to be your last or did you expect to change autos as your needs and wants changed?  Looks to me like you wanted a dumptruck to move a load of gravel and then expect it to be your daily driver ever after.

I have built forges just to suit particular projects.  Yes I have a general forge; of course it's been rebuilt a number of times, (about time to start on Mark V version); but I have other forges that get used as needed---the forge I weld billets in is not the one I heat them for twisting in for example.

Forges are not some semi-mystical item; they are a consumable. Start thinking of a forge as being a tool, like a hammer and expect to modify it, wear it out and make a new one, swap it for one more suited for the work, change handles, etc...