I Forge Iron

Cylinder driven touchmark?

I've been looking at my touchmark recently, and while I love it, I do know I get inconsistent results. My stamp is from CMT, pricey but they did a good job. I made a c-style frame and holder for it that allows me to put my blade in using either x or y orientation, but if my hammer comes down a hair to one side or another I usually end up with a mark that half disappears in the final polish. Anyway, looking around my shop I realize I've got almost a dozen different hydraulic and pneumatic cylinders ranging from 5" to 14" tall & 250lb to 8500lb displacement.. So, my question is, anyone ever built a cylinder driven touchmark and if so, whats better? A fast air powered ram with a few pounds added for force or a hard but slower hydraulic mechanism?

J

I think you are after "square and repeatable", i.e. the touch mark contacts the material evenly then is compressed the same way every time.  I would use a hydraulic mechanism because you could load it to establish full contact then apply force.  I normally use a fly press but that wasn't your question...

I think you are after "square and repeatable", i.e. the touch mark contacts the material evenly then is compressed the same way every time.  I would use a hydraulic mechanism because you could load it to establish full contact then apply force.  I normally use a fly press but that wasn't your question...

​I'm leaning that way.. and I wish I had a fly-press.. if I were to do it with pneumatic, I would make it the same way my current holder works.. that rests the stamp directly on the work piece, then it with the pneumatic arm.. sorta like using a dye in a power hammer.. I've got a few parker 5 port valves, momentary switches and relays so it wouldn't be that difficult to hook up.

J

Can you take a piece of your typical blade profile and your punch and try it out on somebody else's  press? At least then you would know whether it would do what you hope, before you spend a day or three setting your own up.

Alan

For what it's worth when I stamp my hammer heads I use my hydraulic forging press. I just hold the stamp in a pair of tongs set it square on the hammer head and push on it until it's the depth I want. I get a nice stamp everytime