I Forge Iron

Am I naive or what?

Ok,, I have been researching the use of a flypress in blacksmithing. The overall result of my labors is this;

One) A flypress seems to be an overall use full piece of equipment, even more so for the solo metal worker.

Two) They are not cheap,,on any level, new or used.

Now,, I know I am a frugal guy,, but I'm not afraid to spend some dough. But holy moly!!! They seem a bit on the expensive side. I believe that I may be on the naive side on this one. I have suffered a syndrome my entire life that some things in this world are just a bit too expensive,, but that is my personal fault.

Thanks everybody.

Well, they have uses in a blacksmith shop. Beyond that, it comes down to your intended purpose and it's somewhat difficult to put an objective conclusion on subjective comments. Cheap is somewhat relative if it helps you produce something in a a cost efficient manner. Power hammers, lathes, saws and all those other 'gee-whiz' tools fall into the same category.

I would like to get one but have been getting along without one for 25 years. I missed a small P1 for $300 a couple weeks ago - just couldn't get there in time. On the other hand, I really could not do much work without my treadle hammer so I'd recommend that over a fly press if you didn't already have one. Probably just a personal decision, one way or the other.

imho, they are cheap, buy a new computer for $1000/ in 2 years its worth zilch. Buy a used flypress, in 2 years its worth what you paid for it - poss a bit more! (minus transport) - so assuming hauling it was say, worst case $365, and you keep it 2 years its $0.50 a day, but youll keep it longer than that, and transport will be less!

(and remember, theres no pockets in a shroud)

Phil I would look at the intended use and see if the parts I would make in the near future would pay for the tool.
Just bought a new welder that allows me to get to a fence in need of repair about 3or 4 grand of work being help up by my lack of a 450 dollar tool.
Since I do not fully utilze a power hammer the one I have has not even broke even for me, and I still owe on it. BAD decision.
Building a treadle hammer because I can see that I will be able to use it to produce some things for the spring, it is R&D time and money, I can afford it to fail.
Thats My approach.

Mills has it right, don't buy stuff just cause it's "neat" go for what you can actually use!

I picked up a large used screwpress for US$50 at a factory tool room auction in Columbus, OH; everyone else wanted the "modern" equipment. Have you talked to a local used machinery dealer to see if they have one mouldering in the corner somewhere?

I don't ever buy things on impulse. I simply do not have that much space to waste. I have found myself getting into projects where I need to move metal in specific ways that a fly press would be a positive addition to the effort. One of the other things that have been attracting me towards it is the relatively smaller footprint. To a degree, it is easier and cheaper to go up than out.
I always like to get others opinions on things of this nature just to get a better feel of the market of items. Sometimes fads can blaze through anything and blow up the prices of anything.

Thomas,

I'm already thinking along your lines. I have a couple of feelers out right now with a few contacts in the machinery biz,, I hope to hear back soon.

thanx again everyone.

Phil.

Thomas has a good idea there. over 20 yrs ago I worked in a factory.
There were some tools I used that I would never have imagined in a home shop, but do now. There was a Draftsman(are there jobs for draftmen anymore?) I worked with in the factory, who I ran into about a year ago and when the factory closed he got into the used machinery business (buying, refurbishing and selling). I may have to look him up.

my flypress has a larger footprint than my Champion Power hammer... right now it's still on rollers keeping the man door from opening all the way, never had it try to twist on me when using and it's handy as when I turn off the lights---halogens on an extension cord and so am night blind I can walk a couple of steps till I find the flywheel and then follow it around to the door.

Really great for a lot of things but I think in my order of tooling it would be Anvil:Powerhammer:Treadle Hammer:Flypress:hydraulic press

So I'm working on building a treadle hammer---got most of the piece parts scrounged and now am awaiting electricity to the buzzbox