I Forge Iron

HELP On Navel Brass

Hay fellow welder's I need some Help !!

I mite need to fab up an angle frame box out of some navel brass that will get put into a concert slab

& then some Lg lettering go's in that frame & is then grouted in to that frame -- Its to Honor  the Vet's here

*** MY ?? is I don't want to weld / braze it with a torch to much heat & warp age  issues this piece is 22' L X 1' W more or less

So I have a Tig - Mig - Arc welder available I would like to Tig this job but I don't know what rod would work ??

any Info or help or Ideas on this would be great !!

I am hopeing to change this project's metal supply into silicon bronze & that I can Tig :) will see on that not my call @ this point !

Steve's Welding Thanks

For color match, TIG, use yellow brass. For strength match use silicon bronze rod.

For some reason the design world is favoring the look of yellow brass this year, silicon is out of favor. Naval brass gives a good yellow look while maintaining high strength and corrosion resistance. It isn't that bad to weld. Just know that due to the nature of the yellow brass filler rod (high zinc and lead content) you don't get true weld strength from it, it is more like it is soldered. Also you could make rods from the base material but it doesn't really work much better than yellow brass, due to the loss of part of the alloys to vaporization.  Color match with bare brass rod or yellow brass is pretty much perfect though.

• 1 month later...

These guys make a true chemical match for either Braze welding or TIG (GTAW) welding. Most of the time if given the choice, I usually recommend TIG over all other processes. For THIS application, I make the rare exception and advise Oxy-Acetylene braze weld. Due to its high zinc content, it is closer to common yellow brass than your typical bronzes. Arc processes are simply too much concentrated heat and will burn off the zinc creating a mismatch in the tie in area (HAZ) of the base metal. 

Me personally, I would MIG weld it since I have a spool of 0.035" silicon-bronze wire. InWeld corp doesn't make a spool wire so mig is out for that. As I said, considering it would be a special order item (read EXPENSIVE!), MIG is fast enough with Si-Brz that burning off the zinc (in the base material) and WARP would be kept to a minimum. As is with all things there is a give and take, so by mig welding with Si-Br, it's possible to keep the warp down but lose on the color.

http://www.inweldcorporation.com/datasheets/Inweld Naval Bronze.pdf