I Forge Iron

Arm and Hammer Sales Advertisements

I have seen many ads for trenton and peter wright as well as Vulcan, I also own a few misc. copies of those.  I am looking for any original advertisement ads for Arm and Hammer anvils.  If anyone has some pdf scans or extras they want to sell let me know or post Them up for all to enjoy.  I have searched through here but did not find any. 

Mine is a 152 lbs and in really nice condition. It has an oval depression in the bottom, I know some some did and some did not. The rebound is pretty good, but not quite as good as my Vanadium. It has a 1 1/4 inch hardy hole that isn't quite square, punch/chisel marks are visible.   I have heard these anvils aren't as "pretty" as others, but don't know if this is one of the common attributes or if mine has seen some abuse. EIther way, it took me 2 years to find and has been a pleasure to use for the little time that I have had it. I'd like to date it just out of curiosity, but no copy of AIA so can't decipher the serial number.

What did your rebound turn out to be, Eddie.  I have a 1913 90 lb Arm & Hammer (marked for Belknap in Louisville, KY) and got results between 90-95% rebound when I did a ball bearing test on it (10" drop height).

Edited by TheCopilot

Just eyeballing a 3/4" ball bearing drop test, I'd say the Vanadium is in the 90% area and the Arm and Hammer in the 75%. However, the feel of the rebound when tested with a  hammer seems pretty comperable, and breaking down stock seems more efficient. This could be a factor of the heavier weight of the Arm and Hammer as compared to the 70 lb Vanadium in conjunction with the rebound.