I Forge Iron

Hammer ID - VULCAN

ferrum+6

So I found this old hammer at a flea market. It's about 4.5"L and 1.5"W. Anyone know anything about this brand? I have found a few different brands like Vulcan MFG from Minnesota and Vulcan Tools from Ohio. Neither had this stamp or produced hammers like this one as far as I can tell. So yeah any help is much appreciated. In the pictures it is placed next to a 3lb cross peen.

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

Welcome aboard Ferrum, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

I've seen Vulcan stamped into lots of stuff not affiliated with THE Vulcan folk. Call it a good name for either a blacksmith tool or one made by a blacksmith. I'll be keeping an eye on the thread in case someone knows what it was used for.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty, good to know. So are you implying that this is possibly a hobbyists stamp? I'm also very interested in its intended use. It vaguely reminded me of a "Japanese bladesmith hammer" and I will probably use it similarly. I'm going to redress it or possibly take a flatter to it and replace the handle.

No, I'm just saying a lot of tools have Vulcan as part of the name as a marketing thing. I've seen almost everything requiring fire tagged with vulcan at one time or another. I could be far off the mark but I think just having it in the name doesn't necessarily mean it's a product of one particular company.

Frosty The Lucky.