I Forge Iron

Hello from Oklahoma

RDSBandit

Hello all. Just stopping by to introduce myself. 

My name is Robert, I am 33 years old, been married for 4 years, and I have 1 son.

I haven't begun to smith anything yet, still just gathering information. I am however hopeing to start in the next month, but, well see how it goes.

Note blacksmithing can be associated with a happy marriage---We had out 30th anniversary last August (2 kids, 7 grandkids so far).  It helps if you stick to a budget. I get an "allowance" every week to spend on fleamarkets, scrapyards, books, all my vices (and vises).  Sticking to it means that we have money in the bank for random big purchases; but I have to make the case to my wife that it's worth it, she is in the same boat wrt her hobby with me getting to say "yes we should spend it".

Sounds silly, but having a firm financial foundation makes for a lot less stress on a marriage and over the years I have come to "enjoy the hunt" of doing stuff on the cheap---I'm going to the scrapyard Friday with 2 months allowance in my pocket!---BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Doing stuff apart is too; I always tried to watch the kids and give her some time "off" on a regular basis and not just to go grocery shopping!  Sometimes I'd watch the kids while she went to a spinning convention for a couple of days and vice versa when I'd go to Quad-State and we'd all do family stuff together!  Part of a parent's job is arranging for "peak" experiences for their kids (and grandkids, my oldest grandson will be coming out this summer and we're going camping!)

And sometimes it's not easy!  I had a spell when working 50+ hours a week, attending University to get another degree and maintaining a 100 year old house; but maintaining your family is even more important.

Note blacksmithing can be associated with a happy marriage---We had out 30th anniversary last August (2 kids, 7 grandkids so far).  It helps if you stick to a budget. I get an "allowance" every week to spend on fleamarkets, scrapyards, books, all my vices (and vises).  Sticking to it means that we have money in the bank for random big purchases; but I have to make the case to my wife that it's worth it, she is in the same boat wrt her hobby with me getting to say "yes we should spend it".

Sounds silly, but having a firm financial foundation makes for a lot less stress on a marriage and over the years I have come to "enjoy the hunt" of doing stuff on the cheap---I'm going to the scrapyard Friday with 2 months allowance in my pocket!---BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Please post the pics of the semi-loads of real wrought iron and pristine tools you'll inevitably sniff out Sir Thomas. I'll be sure to put a protective cover on my keyboard to keep the drool out of it while I stare wistfully at the screen.