I Forge Iron

Forge layering and mixing of methods

Deadeye

Hey everyone I'm new here.  I want to start by saying I've learned a lot already.  That being said building the ole first forge and I have not seen a ton of info about combining insulating methods.  I was going to try pearlite and refractory to close the cavity in my 22 propane tank.  Then an inch fiber blanket soaked in sanite.  Once hardened coat with cement.  Just for knife making maybe forge welding down the road.  Not sure I saw this combo anywhere.  Is the pearlite all bad news?  I heard it can sag.  

Welcome aboard Deadeye, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

You're falling into a trap common to folk new to any craft, you're trying to design a perfect piece of equipment without knowing what you need, how they perform, etc. etc. Don't worry, most all of us have done it, sometimes still do.

You're over thinking a simple gas forge. Forget perlite, it melts around 2,000f so won't last long in a properly tuned propane forge. Just wrap two layers of 1" 8lb. Kaowool or equivalent ceramic blanket inside. Leave a gap in the bottom the same size as a 3,000f split fire brick for a deck.

To kiln wash the interior, first dampen the blanket and brick then paint on the Satanite, ITC-100, home brew, etc. and allow it to  dry.

By "cement", if you mean Portland Cement you might as well throw the forge away as to plaster the inside with portland cement. A camp fire is hot enough to spall concrete let alone cement.

Keep it simple just copy a working forge someone else uses. There are a BUNCH of designs, pics, testimonials, trouble shooting, etc. etc. posts here under the Gas Forge category. Once you have some experience with the things is time to start tweaking and redesigning forges. Believe me if you do this for long you'll have a number of gas forges around the shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the tips. Good to know we all overthink things.  I have kaowool on the way 1" to double up and ditching the other stuffl.  Kaowool, satanite, and refractory cement 3000 degree rated lowes do all brand.  Just a skim Coat I also have small kiln shelf.  

I think the wife is just as excited she did a lot of glass work previously and would like to do so again.

Glad to be of some help. Just don't use the same kiln wash for a forge you're going to weld in as you would for a glory hole. Hot flux will eat the liner right out of a glory hole washed kiln, it's that high temperature caustic thing you know.

Frosty The Lucky.