I Forge Iron

My First Forged Knife

Hunterbow Smithy

Not only my first forged knife, but also the first time I have ever posted my work on-line.

I made this camp knife as a gift for a friend and as you can see, it still needs some work. The blade was forged from a piece of a brand new coil spring about 3/4" in diameter. The handle is going to be made from a piece of deer antler that I had around the shop. Don't ask me what I copied the profile from because I honestly can't say. If it gets a name, I think I'll call it the Jackfish or something like that since it reminds me of a northern pike. As a first attempt, I am rather pleased with my efforts so far. BUT...I can see that I need to define the grind lines better and I will have to work on the polishing. Also, putting a guard on is going to be a challenge because the shoulders where the tang meets the blade are not even with each other.

4181.attach 4182.attach 4183.attach

DO YOU SIR; EXPECT THE LADIES AND GENTELMEN OF THIS JURY,
TO BELIEVE THIS IS A FIRST KNIFE ATEMPT?
BALDERDASH!
THIS IS CLEARLY THE WORK OF SOMEONE;WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!
YOU SIR ARE NO AMATEAUR heck how is this word spelled?
ANY WAY AS I WAS SAY'N ,NICE COUCH!;)

Pete, I see that you are a man of all seasons; a thespian as well as blade connoisseur. Thank you for for praise, but tis true that this is my first foray at forging a blade. As for the couch, it is far too comfortable, because I spend more time on it than in the shop, which is probably why my knife does not have a guard or handle yet. :)

Cheers,

Chad

DO YOU SIR; EXPECT THE LADIES AND GENTELMEN OF THIS JURY,
TO BELIEVE THIS IS A FIRST KNIFE ATEMPT?
BALDERDASH!
THIS IS CLEARLY THE WORK OF SOMEONE;WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!
YOU SIR ARE NO AMATEAUR heck how is this word spelled?
ANY WAY AS I WAS SAY'N ,NICE COUCH!;)

Amateur ;)
had to think about it for a bit..

nice blade!! what did you use for the grinding bit?
coil spring is a bugger to work with sometimes.. Its nice cheap rod once its straightened out.. but straightening stinks!!

It'll be nice to see it finished, I'll have my first "real" blade up in the next week or so..

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

RainsFire: I forged the blade very close to the final dimensions; which I later came to learn was not such a good thing; so there was not a lot of grinding to do. The grinding I did do was initially done with a single cut bastard file and then my hand drill and a 5" rubber wheel with Velcro backing that accepts abrasive sanding disks. I was glad to have the sanding wheel as it saved a lot of filing.

Chad

• 2 months later...