I Forge Iron

Greetings from an Aussie newbie

blubrick

G'day all,

I'm a 43 year old "not a blacksmith's bootlace" from Cockatoo, Victoria (S.E. mainland) and I have almost zero prior experience in metalworking.

That said, I have just taken a short course in basic blacksmithing, and I think I'm hooked :) The place where I did the course hosts a blacksmithing group, and I can go and use their smithy for a small fee every week, so I'm pretty much set for being able to get forging straight away. Meanwhile I can gradually acquire all the gear I need to set up my own smithy at home.

As fas as my specific area of interest in blacksmithing goes, I'm not entirely sure. I'm not particularly keen on bladesmithing, but it seems like forging a knife out of an old file is a bit of a rite of passage, so I'll probably do that at some stage. I like the idea of architectural work, but fences, gates and the like are projects for the future. For the moment though, I'll be happy to knock out hooks and pokers and similar small items. I'm sure I'll find my niche in good time.

I've been lurking in the forums for a while now and you lot seem really friendly and helpful. I'm looking forward to learning lots while playing with fire and hitting things.

Cheers all,

Matt L.

Go to the opening page of IForgeIron.com > Getting Started.
That section is designed to do just that, get you started both on the site and as a blacksmith.

Then click on IForgeIron.com > Lessons in Metalworking > Blacksmithing.
That section is an introduction to blacksmithing.

Both sections are being updated as time and material allows so check back often.

Next go to IForgeIron.com > Blueprints and start with the projects you feel you can accomplish.

Blueprint BP0238 Side Blast Forge is most likely the simplest forge you can build. It takes the least amount of tools, little skill, and the least time to complete.

Blueprint BP0133 The 55 Forge is another very simple design that takes only a few tools, some skill and only a couple of hours to build. This is similar to the rivet forge design, or the pan forge.

Just because it is easy to build does not mean it will not work and work well.

Welcome to IForgeIron. If you have questions, just ask.

G'Day blubrick ,
tis nice ta see another AUSSIE onboard :)
Cockatoo , just a " hop , skip & a jump " from Wesburn mate ( my digs )

" That said, I have just taken a short course in basic blacksmithing, and I think I'm hooked The place where I did the course hosts a blacksmithing group, and I can go and use their smithy for a small fee every week "

Not with the bloke in the bowler hat i hope ? ( Wandin ) Unfortunely i get my coke off of him ... :(

Youse is always welcome ta pop in here & get a " fit " anytime bloke , bang me an IM ( instant message ) & we'll arange somethin' .

Dale Russell