I Forge Iron

Where are the anvils

Somewhere in Switzerland or at least Europe the roads are lined with anvils. Please put me out of my misery does anyone know where this might be. Ta

Actually, it is only the one road, and it leads to a house made of sweeties. Apparently the old woman who lives there is not particularly friendly. You have been warned.

Well, in the old communist countries. ., the ones with a lot of rural areas. . .It would be relatively easy to get quite a few very very old and very used anvils.

If you;re lucky ..you could also find some very heavy industrial cast steel anvils. . if you know where to look ( i don;t .. but i think i know some people who know some people ..)

the majority of anvils are under 70 kilos ( ~ 150 pounds ) and are very used. .and have a saddle shape going on, the predominant styles are the austrian type, stake anvils and czech and german copies.

There IS a town somewhere in Europe with a museum of blacksmithing and a big pyramid of anvils as I recall, maybe even some lining a road. Don't remember which country and a websearch has brought me nothing. I HAVE seen pictures but searching through my piles of newsletters ( I used to be an editor, have hundreds of newsletters from all over the US and Canada) would just be crazy :D

In reality, I know a man who has, as I remember, twelve anvils lining his drive. Yes, they were for sale, but at the time, no, the back of the Polo was not a suitable place for transporting them, and these days I can't make the drive (around 4 hrs).