I Forge Iron

Peter Wright with stamp on bottom

I picked up a 98# Peter Wright over the weekend, my first London pattern anvil.  When I cleaned it up a bit I had found a large block letter formed "T" engraved in the bottom.  I'm curios if this was a mark that PW put on the anvil that means something, or a mark one of the smiths put on it for identification?

Thanks

RussellIMG_1262[1].thumb.JPG.0952dfb13c541fbd1bIMG_1266[1].thumb.JPG.37653120b948a119c2

• 1 month later...

Yeah, my Peter Wright has a P stamped on the foot.  It might be an indication that the anvils were sold through another distributor rather than directly through Peter Wright, I remember seeing an old receipt posted on Facebook where a shipment of anvils was purchased by another company to resell and all the anvils were given the same stamp to mark them as such.

Gotmituns, the T is for Texas ;)

It has England on it, so that should put it post 1910. 

The mark could be anything really. Shipping code, the worker who made it, inspector marking, tax/tariff mark, inventory marking, previous owner marked it for identification..........

• 1 year later...
On Thursday, April 02, 2015 at 9:20 PM, Black Frog said:

Bottom stamps on PW's is something I've brought up the last few years.   I've  found a few with a large X stamp,  O stamp, and one that had a triangle stamp.   No known reason attributable so far. 

Ive got a peater wright anvil with a triangle on the bottem the one you seen was the side of it steped out thats the wat mine is