I Forge Iron

Need Help Identifying This

The item resting on the wagon - any idea what it is?

At first I thought it is a lathe - no tool rest and no jawed-chuck, nor the means to attach one.

Knob in front provides lateral adjustment to mechanism in back - note grinding wheel on one end and drive pulley in back.

Your help identifying this is appreciated.

4144.attach

The face plate (on the pulley side) should have one or more cutouts in it for driving a lathe dog. Do a search on metal turning between centers. Only, instead of turning tools, this will grind the OD. Depending on setup/adjustments, you may be able to grind tapers. Depending on how beat up/worn out it is, it may only grind tapers. :) Can the center be adjusted side to side on the tailstock? Do they currently line up together?

• 1 year later...

i seen some thing like this in and old mechanic shop i worked in 20 years ago and the place had been there for 60 years then so maybe some type of pin polisher an old timer said years ago they would rebulid the front axle with over size bushings and turn the pins down but it makes a good conversation pieace any way let us know if you find out what it is