I Forge Iron

Video of my new forge and chimney

This is just a quick video demo of my forge and chimney I made mostly from stuff I already had. The highlight of the video is making part of my chimney out of a stainless trash can (woohoo!). This is also my first Youtube channel/video. I figured I'd start to take video of the things I'm learning to make as more of a personal historical document. Anyway I'm not a pro but it was fun and maybe it will give somebody some ideas. Anyway let me know what you think.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

did you say 2" deep???????????

If so, has that been an issue?

the disc is high carbon. Tough to weld if not preheated. I like how you light the fire. if the die-hard "take time to wad newsprint into balls and gingerly tend to the fire" method guys ever tried that they would kick themselves.

I use that very same hammer. Love it.

Edited by SReynolds

did you say 2" deep???????????

If so, has that been an issue?

the disc is high carbon. Tough to weld if not preheated. I like how you light the fire. if the die-hard "take time to wad newsprint into balls and gingerly tend to the fire" method guys ever tried that they would kick themselves.

I use that very same hammer. Love it.

Yeah, its about 2" deep if I remember correctly. I have not had any issues with the depth of my forge at all that I can tell. It gets hot enough that I'll burn something up every once in a while if I'm not paying attention so I guess its good.  I got the idea by someone's video of a portable forge that I saw where they used a disc.

I have another video that I did of it cleaned out to show my clinker breaker that shows it a lot better. http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/41839-clinker-breaker-build-detail/

Yeah that high carbon steel was tuff to weld in there, we didn't know about the pre heat. The weld cracked in a few places, but its in there secure enough. The hole in the table is actually smaller than the disc too. I wish I would have video'd me cutting the hole with a torch in the table, I made a "compass apparatus thing" to keep it somewhat circular.

Some people have good luck with the newspaper/wood chips etc.. and can get it going pretty fast. The torch just seems quicker to me, and less frustrating. I use it to light my grill now too ;)

That hammer is one of my favorites too.  I have been eyeballing a Swedish style hammer lately though. ;)