I Forge Iron

My second forgery and first leaf-ish attempt

Jesse17

Pretty good try, Jesse. Make sure you keep that leaf, because when you have done a few hundred of them you can look back and see how you have improved. Leaves come in all shapes and sizes. Did you start with square or round bar? (Bit hard to tell from the pic.) I find square bar gives you more shoulder to the leaf. Round is good for long skinnier leaves like gum leaves. Forge on .. make lots of leaves and have fun.

Thanks. It started as round stock. I should have worked the stem smoother, but I had never run my forge as hot as it was, so I was kind of distracted trying to keep an eye on it. Plus, I just have no idea what I'm doing. LOL

Th leaf/stem joint is actually cracked almost through because of me accidentally knocking the leaf back and forth while drawing the stem out.

Not a bad first leaf, not bad at all. I believe there's a how to video here somewhere by Bran Brazeal showing how he makes leaves. He has a good method and is a good teacher so his videos are good instruction.

Leaves make excellent finials, do this a while and you'll have bucket's full of leaf experience. I like doing leaves, there are a number of processes in use. Leaf stems aren't usually all that smooth so don't knock yourself trying to get them plannished perfectly. I ONLY make leaves with textured stems, seriously, those leaves really DO have texture on the stems. IF we get together I'll show you. <wink>

Another good learning exercise is making nails but first you need to make a nail header and that'll get your intro to punching holes out of the way too. Nails are drawn out, cut and upset. You gotta move FAST too so you learn drawing, cutting, upsetting and getting a move on it all. This stock cools off REALLY fast.

Frosty The Lucky.

...I ONLY make leaves with textured stems, seriously, those leaves really DO have texture on the stems. IF we get together I'll show you. <wink>...

Frosty The Lucky.

That may happen. I have a good friend in Wasilla that I'm hopping to visit in the next year or two.