I Forge Iron

Fire Pokers

Swords9023

The top left twist could use a swock or two. All in all decent pokers and reasonably marketable items. Fire sets aren't as hot sells as a person might think. Still they're good to have on the table.

So, where're the shovels and brushes? Are you telling me you not only posted pics of pre-swocked pokers but didn't even make the entire set? Kids today. <sigh>

Kidding aside they look pretty good. Do some small practice pieces and try different twists. Twists are a LOT of fun for the smith and spectators at demos. They are also very tactile and being able to feel a forged piece's soul in it's texture speaks to everybody who picks it up. It's just good tactics to feed folk's inner wonder and soul.

Frosty The Lucky.

I cant remember seeing a fire set with a bellows, you usually see a poker, shovel, brush and stand, sometimes fire tongs but not often. I see more outdoor fire sets sold but I rarely sell my work unless I get a request. I do know guys who do and I don't hear fire sets talked about as big sellers. All that's here and goodness knows everywhere else is . . . different.

I buy wood baseball bats cheap at yard, garage, etc. sales for swocker stock.

Frosty The Lucky.

I know they don't typically come with bellows. Just something to be a bit different. I can imagine them not selling well when you can buy a set from Walmart probably for like $20

That right there is the secret, we can't compete with Wallmart, Raj of Indus or . . . Our real selling point is bragging rights. I know I've said this a bunch of times but it's true none the less. Nobody points to a painting on the wall and brags about how cheap it was at Xmart. They WILL however brag about how expensive it was buying an original or a limited print Bob R.

Not charging enough for hand forged products can lose more sales than you might think. Charging $20.00 for fire tools puts you right in the Wally World market so that's what you're going to hear about, they're brass/chrome plated, come with a stand, etc. etc. They have to be cheaper, you make them yourself!

When I spent more time letting the craft pay it's own way (okay, defraying the costs) I sent a lot of people to Wally World or Sears.  My work is HAND FORGED, not cranked out in a factory. While they are matched NONE are identical, every one is a unique creation.

If someone points out more swocks are need or a twist is uneven or some other little thing, point out how cool each feature feels in the hand. Maybe how hard it is to get exactly THAT ergonomic curve in the handle. Or . . . <grin> It's no accident Black Smithing and Bull . . . Shooting share the same abbreviation. Marketing is all about creating a desire or need more than fulfilling one. People NEED something not factory perfect made, everybody NEEDS a little one of a kind UNIQUE in their cookie cutter carbon copy life.

Hmmmmm?

Frosty The Lucky.