I Forge Iron

Making stake tools...?

Urthman

Now TP, nothing like breaking the new guy in right ;:-) and besides if you upset lust a bit "up" from the tip you can cheat and not have to upset as much. Very good long heat (you want it welding hot all the way threw) and a long enugh bar to be able to use the weight of the bar to your advantage. Dont be afraide to reheat the bar, it will only take a few minutes and you will want the breather.

Both my old Brown Boggs stake plate and my new ones have a few sizes What do you mean by a good stake taper?  On the bars I do in one heat the end of the 1 1/8" bar is 1 3/8" -1 1/2" for about 3/4" and then tapers to the stock size over about 3".  I can then flatten the bar to 1/2" by 1 3/4" 3" long for a 3/4" bolt to go through  To help keep the bar straight while upsetting this way rotate the bar 1/4 turn every blow.  Working the end back down to a taper will be way more work than the upset.

Thats why you quench the end to isolate the heat, lol, already have the 1" on the bottom ;-) despite being crazy enugh to play with 1and 2 " stock solo, I am basicaly lazy.

That does make sense when you are working the stock down by hand after upsetting.  It will take an extra heat or 2 for upsetting.

Crazy was the time Bob Cook and I upset the middle of a 2 1/2" bar to 4" by hand.  I had a power hammer to work the 2 1/2" but it would not have worked 4" down so we had to upset.  It was pretty much a day of lifting and throwing down a 100lb block of steel.

Success!  I picked up some anthracite today to give it a shot.  That stuff definitely puts out some heat!

I had a 4' section of 1" bar, so I put my anvil on the ground and followed the advice here.

After a few heats, got it fattened to about 1-1/4".

I think I that'll work!

Was definitely a workout.  But more fun than sit-ups or running.  :)

post-29400-0-20466700-1421525318_thumb.j

Started scrounging from my local mechanic today.
Walked in with a box of donuts, walked out with a couple brake rotors and two MASSIVE sets of leaf springs.  :)

Any creative ideas for the brake rotors?  I thought they'd make nice tool bases at least...