I Forge Iron

Forging folders

son_of_bluegrass

I am curious of who forges the blade and/or other parts to folders. On the other forums I read regularly, when folders are mention most everyone speaks of cutting and grinding the parts. Personally I find grinding tedious so those few slipjoints I've made I forged the blade and backspring, anyone else follow this path or am I psycho?

ron

I forge all the damascus for my folders, then I cut and grind the parts I need. I really am not capable of forging parts to a couple of thousands thickness, But I can do that with my mill. For some of the other types of folders,,for instance a friction folder I think I could forge to shape and size.

I can't forge to a couple thousands tolerance either, but i can get close enough to make a working slip joint finishing with files and sandpaper. My biggest problem is keeping (or making ) everything flat enough to look good, it really doesn't take as close a fit to work (and work well) as it does to look professional. I think a belt grinder with a good platen would help alot over files and sandpaper. And if I was looking to sell folders I would certainly try that as for now this is a hobby (when I made my first one nobody told me I couldn't do it hot with a hammer so I did :) )

ron

• 2 months later...