I Forge Iron

High School Blacksmith Class, 1915

Most of the high schools around here still have shop classes, and were they don't the kids can take classes at nearby vocational schools.  The high school I went to back in the 1990's had a good metal shop and taught a great jewelry making class, also had a Johnson forge and several Peddinghaus anvils.  Many area high schools have a similar jewelry class and every instructor I've talked to says that they are so popular there is always a waiting list to get in.  

There is a vocational school in Massachusetts with a hugely popular blacksmithing program, they send a busload of kids to most of our New England Blacksmiths meets.  The kids get excited to work in our coal fired teaching stations because at school they just have gas forges.  

There are also more "private" (not taxpayer funded) educational opportunities in blacksmithing now.  If you have the $$ you can learn all you want to learn about smithing.  For better or worse that seems to be how we do things in America these days.

So it does happen today, just not as much and in a somewhat different way.  

I've had boo coo students, a wide age range, men and women, and very few accidents. It's been a pleasure. My shop is funkier than the posted school forge photos. All of my forges are different, but coal operated. All anvils different, but all are old and weighing 227 pounds and above. Each student station has a forge, anvil, and leg vise.

All of which reminds me: "Starting a business without capital is like being the Butterscotch Man. You have to get warm in order to run; yet you have to run in order to get warm."