I Forge Iron

emerson anvils

OK I stand corrected, just got an email back from Anvil Brand Shoe Company that now owns JHM as of 2005. This is what they said.

Those are Ductile Iron with 48-50 on Rockwell hardness. The price on those is $852.85. Let me know if you need more information.

Megan Aberle
Anvil Brand Shoe Company

It looks like I will be looking for a different brand of anvil now.

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/20/2007 at 11:35 PM, Mike Turner said:

I know when I bought mine it had a sticker right on it that said cast steel not ductile iron. I have used ductile iron anvils before and they do not rebound like my anvil does. Also they chip real easy on the edge, after 8+ years of beating on mine every day not a chip in the edge and I use the edge a lot to shear nails or remove clips from shoes. I had a friend do this with a Cliff Caroll anvil and knocked a dime size piece out of the corner and face and it looked like cast iron. Maybe JHM has changed what they use I will be calling them tomorrow to see as I was wanting to get a 260# anvil but if they have changed to iron I will pass.

Exact cut and copy from"anvil brand" webpage regarding JHM.

Every model said basically same verbage:

World's Best Anvil. JHM 200lb Legend Anvil by Anvil Brand. We are the only firm using allI SO Certified partners in our processes. From the pour, to the machining operations, to the-heat treat. No other Anvil adheres to the amount of Quality Controls as the JHM Anvil - Period.This Anvil is made of ductile iron and has an actual weight of 215lbs. Has a nice Round Horn.Face 4 3/4" x 17 3/4". Height is 12 3/8".Overall length is 29 1/2" with a 1 1/16" square hardie hole to fit 1" anvil tools.The Base is 11 1/4" x 10 3/4". The Round Horn is 11 1/2" long overall with a 2 1/2" step.The JHM Legend Series Anvils are in many Professional Farrier Schools in North America.This is a professional anvil, shop anvil, farrier anvil, blacksmith anvil, no substitute! The Best!

Unfortunately ISO is NOT a quality system. It's a reproducibility system.  If your process says each anvil has 80% cow manure added into it then it can be iso certified if *all* your anvils have 80% cow manure content. The company I used to work for was one of the first ISO9001 certs in the USA and we went through all the training and certification interviews/audits, etc.  Now Statistical Quality Control will teach you that reproducibility is a requirement to go towards better quality; but it does not indicate high quality.