I Forge Iron

Repair on Ram Ways Question

My 100# Beaudry came to me with a lot of wear at the bottom end of the ways (I've owned it over 30 years so this is not a new issue).

The hammer had half and half dies on it when I bought it, which I am relatively certain was used for repointing jack hammer tips for much of its former life prior to landing in my shop.  At any rate, it has a great deal of play at the bottom of the stroke (maybe a half inch wiggle or more) but it is tight at the top of the travel so the ram binds if I drop the bronze wear rail to tighten the side to side movement.

I was thinking about fixing this with Turcite or Moglice but was wondering if anyone had done this in the past on a similar problem.  It also seems to me that UHMWPE would probably work since the application is nothing more than guiding the ram and isn't nearly so precise as a planer or lathe bed.

The other option is to scrape all the ways just like it would have originally been done at the factory but that is obviously a lot more work...

Is the wear on the frame side pretty serious? Or primarily on the gib side? If it's primarily on the gib, then machine a new one incorporating the correct skew to straighten out the ram travel(ie thicken the gib at the bottom to take out the majority of the play). My 2 cents.

If the Majority of the play is in the slide the rebuild the slide completely or you will be taking it down and doing it yet again when you do not want to do it or do have the time to do it . trust me ! The expense may be an up front cost but it will out last you in the long run if done correctly the first time. if it calls for Brass runners , or the other material you have to make the repairs for it to function properly so it will Not cause you Harm, or Bodily damage when you operate the ram. 

Good Luck Brother ,Blessings & Best Regards

Remember Safety First !

Ret, Sgt. Robert Yates