I Forge Iron

planned obsolesance

L Smith

And yet here in the driest part of the USA we are not allowed to do split water systems.

I have a lot of old appliances. My Sunbeam T20 toaster was made in 1950, same as my CG1 waffle iron, and KitchenAid mixer.

Cincinnati started buying up used centerless grinders they made to scrap them, as more used ones were being sold than new. Henry Ford did the same with Model T's. You can't sell new when the old ones still work.

Now when it comes to cars the new ones do last a long time. I remember when 100,000 miles was about the life of a V8. I have 3 Saturns that have 189k,245k, and 293k on them. My Cummins has 327k on it. The Saturns have given me a lot of service with little maintenance needed. I drive over 60k a year, so a long running car is essential.

It would be nice if everything lasted longer, but we as consumers wanted the lowest price which in turn drove down quality. Long lasting items are out there, but they cost a lot more today.