I Forge Iron

7 1/4" Post vise Peter Wright?

Nicemibs

Hi to all,

I just got a new toy, it is a 7 1/4" jaw Post vise weighs  right at 145lbs.

I  was scraping the grease and dirt off of it, before I wire brush it,

And on it I  found it says "Solid Box Patented"  is this a Peter Wright Post Vise?

Any Ideas on the values?

Also in the pic is my 6" Columbian weighs 100lbs  for comparison,  both are in excellent shape

post-14465-0-59879900-1417287554_thumb.j  post-14465-0-75277100-1417287342_thumb.j  post-14465-0-05073400-1417287378_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

The protruding portion of the box on two vises I have seen, had the following in small serifed letters on top:

P. WRIGHT

PATENT

SOLID BOX

On most Peter Wrights, this stamping has been obliterated through wear. If you remove the box, there is sometimes a single number stamped on it which is revealed by cleaning. I assume it is an inspection mark.

Peter Wright was proud of the solid box, because it represented a breakthrough over the earlier boxes which were brazed together.

Thanks for the replys,

Both vises are 40" tall, the 6" Columbian is marked well on the mounting  bracket and satmped 1914 on the front jaw.

So far I have not cleaned anymore on the Peter Wright?  but it does say,  Patented solid box, I will look for more markings soon

In the top pictures the Vise on the left is the Columbian, on the right is the new  PW,

How common are the larger jawed vises

thanks Jeff

Over the years, I've seen many leg vises. The most common, at least in the Western states, seem to be the 4" jaw Columbians. I've seen a number of 5" and 5½" vises, again mostly Columbians. It's getting harder to find 6" and larger vises. My 1894 catalog lists Peter Wrights from 3½" to 8" for sale. My largest is a 7 ¼" Iron City. My Peter Wright is 6 3/4" got from ebay. Vises larger than a 6" jaw are not rare, but they are not easily nor reasonably found (unless you luck out).