I Forge Iron

Wine bottle holder

Swords9023

I used a 3ft 1/4 or 3/8 in. round stock mild steel from home depot.

I began by drawing out one end an additional 6-10 in. to make the counter weight curl. I scrolled it on the side of the anvil. This provides balance for the piece so it doesn't tip over.

Next I drew out the opposite end to make vine that would become the part of the piece that holds the bottle. I don't remember how much I drew it out but it could have been longer. You need a lot of metal to make the loops. I left a piece on the very end alone to make the leaf later.

After the vine was made circular again, I began the arduous process of bending it into the loops and testing it with a spare wine bottle. I didn't own a bending fork at the time (this project made me create one) so I had to do it with vice grips and a piece of 1/2 in. round stock. Getting the loops into the right shape and size was very difficult.

Once the bottle fit into the loops properly I began work on the leaf. After that, came the trial and error process of bending the loops back over the piece to go in the direction of the counter weight scroll. This took a bit of time because the only way to test the balance was to cool the entire piece and insert the spare bottle. Basically fine tuning at that point though.

After everything was balanced I used an angle grinder with a cup-wire brush and knocked the scale off it and hit it with rustoleum.