I Forge Iron

Some upgrades to a new style Kinyon hammer

I've not been completely happy with the control on my hammer.   So I decided make some upgrades.  I started by replacing the small pilot valve with a large roller spring return spool valve with 1/4" ports,  a CV rating of 1.0 and 3/8" lines.  (Norgren #03 0602 22). Then I replaced all the 1/2" lines with 3/4", removed the check valve on the main control valve. and replaced the exhaust hose with 1".  Huge difference.  It hits harder, lots more open space between dies and I can get controlled single hits.  I'm guessing that the roller valve contributed  to the improved control and the I" exhaust hose allowed the removal of the check valve.  Now I've got to get busy making stuff !!  :rolleyes:

I would second the request for pictures. I'm thinking of building an air hammer from the ground up this winter. 

My current hammer is set up with a roller valve, and has pretty good control. 

I've been looking at cylinders and it does not seem that Norgren has a 2.5-inch x 12-inch with 1/2-inch ports, not to mention 3/4-inch. Did you just swap out lines and keep 1/2-inch ports? 

More info would be greatly appreciated here!