I Forge Iron

Alien inspired gates

Joel OF

A friend has asked me to design and make 3 garden gates, the brief being "bold and not traditional". I sketched out some ideas and made this sample section to help explain the designs. As this is just an unpaid sample I didn't bother making everything 100% perfect - the biggest room for improvement being the wraps.

This sample secion is loosely inspired by the face huggers in the Alien films (I like their knuckles/fingers) and as I'm still designing the gates I thought I might include some "organic" wraps that trail around the gate and bind onto various areas - a bit like the face huggers choking their victim!

If the designs get the go ahead then I'll add more pics. Here's hoping anyway.

post-26685-0-37657200-1413460848_thumb.j

Greetings Joel..

I have made many gates in the past and will pass on a suggestion ....  I always take into consideration that dogs and small children might run into the gates and I never have sharp points exposed ....   Dogs always jump up on gates and might get impaled or trapped ...  I love designs like yours but I thought I would bring this up for your consideration..   I will look forward to picts of the final product...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I suppose a Dr. Who theme is just too gosh to consider your side of the pond eh?

A solar system theme might work, for instance: Mars and it's canals, Jupiter with it's bands, Saturn with it's rings. Yeah, I know Mars doesn't really have canals but it was wonderful imagery while it lasted. Spiral galaxies could be close enough to be safe, stars, comets?

Frosty The Lucky.

Exactly what my Dad said, Ian!

Very true Jim, I've raised issues like that with them (including the possibility of their kid climbing the gate as this does look very "ladder like") but they're not concerned.

Most of these infill sections will reach out to the outer frame and be riveted to it so it won't be dangerous, and the gaps will largely get filled out with other softer details. They're not fussed about their dogs getting through as the gate's are going in a very loose hedge which the dogs will get through anyway.

They want the gates to be like 3 pieces of art/sculpture, so within reason I think I've got a bit more freedom than a standard garden gate project.