I Forge Iron

Anyone ever heard of a Rutland Bandsaw?

Hey Yall!!!!

Its been way to long since I have been on here, but I just got married 2 weeks ago and the bride and I are settling down in our new apartment (aka my old blacksmith shop office!!), along with building a house, getting my online business going better, and dealing with my Dad going legally blind after a stroke behind his eye.

Anyhoo, I got a question, Have any of you ever heard of a Rutland brand metal cutting horizontal bandsaw?  If so, what problems do they have?  Are they good quality?

My Black Bull 4X6 saw just went down after 4 years of heavy use, and I purchased the same type of saw from Harbor Freight Tools, and took it back the next day, because it broke 5 blades!!!!!   My wife wanted me to buy the BIG bandsaw from harbor freight, but I don't want to sink 900 bucks in a piece of junk.

This rutland I am looking seems in good condition for $500 obo  He said it cuts 14 inch steel and is single phase.

Thanks!!!!!

Trip!!

post-23014-0-33616900-1412257781_thumb.j

post-23014-0-31647400-1412257787_thumb.j

Rutland is another of the many import names.  You might get a good one and you might not - it's tough to make generic recommendations or otherwise because quality varies on all of the imported tools.

Since it's already set up, take a cut on a piece of tubing or pipe and see if it cuts squarely.  You can tell a lot from how it behaves.

well I 

Rutland is another of the many import names.  You might get a good one and you might not - it's tough to make generic recommendations or otherwise because quality varies on all of the imported tools.

Since it's already set up, take a cut on a piece of tubing or pipe and see if it cuts squarely.  You can tell a lot from how it behaves.

<script type="text/javascript"> //

I may be seeing someone on sunday who runs an engineering business in Rutland ( a small former county of England that was abolished many years ago ).

will ask if he knows of them, are there any details of the maker on the machine?

it could just be badged as rutland and not made here but I will find out what I can

I cant tell you anything about the Rutland but I when I need a saw that size I found out Wellsaw sometimes has scratch and dent demos for sale.  they also offer a factory rebuild service for their old saws.  They have used the same "frame" for the last 100 yrs. or there about.

FWIW

Russell

I own a small wellsaw power hacksaw, a good machine

had not heard of them before.

some imported items are good, depends on where they are made, my welders are swedish IIRC Kemppi and Esab )

one of my plasma cutters is american and even though it was imported it is ok ( hypertherm max 100 )

my lathe was made here in 1959 ( raglan little john MK 2 )

mill was made in china but badged in UK ( Warco )

my cutting off saws were made in Italy

have had some rubbish imported tools though that came from the US, some of the snap on stuff is not much better than chinese stuff but 10 times the cost

That band saw really looks old and heavily used but if it is still on a great working condition and  for that price, it's a nice deal. However, the drawback of this band saw is the parts availability. I can barely find any information on this saw. 

Check the label for country of origin. I have found that the older imports from Taiwan hold up much better than the newer items of the same brand from mainland China. Many twenty year old Harbor Freight, Jet and Enco bandsaws and drill presses are still going strong.

<script type="text/javascript"> //

• 2 weeks later...