I Forge Iron

Anyone have experience with this HF hydraulic pump?

j.w.s.

Just wondering if anyone knows any real world information on the Harbor Freight 98318? The fact that it's "10,000" psi is slightly uninformative to me and I wish they'd put information in like gpm or oil flow psi. I've got a 5 inch cylinder I'd like to power up temporarily on a press until I can order a substantial pump system for it which may be a few months away, but I'm thinking for $150 it may answer a few other design questions and not be static around the shop. I've got an air over setup I could currently use but I think it'd barely reach 950 psi, about 2k short of my goal and I like the idea of a foot switch vs a hand operated one for extend/retract.

-J

post-7730-0-54767400-1411580141_thumb.jp

well, we picked one up today and needless to say but I'm not impressed. I hooked it up after buying new fittings and hoses today. I removed the bleeder port and added a barbed end that ties into a reservoir. on that same reservoir I have the blowoff from the relief connected. the reservoirs each have an air inlet at the top so I connected a 115psi line to both. the second reservoir just has an air line with constant pressure at the top and the hydraulic out is connected to the ram retraction port. interesting side effect, when the extend reservoir is charged with air and I rock the pedal into release the ram extends fast and then allows me to press the other side of the switch and kick in the pump but I have to release that charge to get the ram to retract. I have air charging the second for a faster retract. this thing might be fine for a smaller cylinder but at 5" it moves about 1 ipm. I'll start shopping for a better pump tomorrow.

J