I Forge Iron

need ifo on Alldays&Onions 1cwt hammer

Thanks alan
That actually helps a great deal.... ive been thinking of making the clearance about 0.3mm so the info you gave me confirms what i thought it should be.

now for the machining.....

just about finished hollowing out the billet , just have ti cut the flat , OD and tool holder....

will post pics when done...

oh , and some video..

Fair enough! 

Three or four years after I had built the new workshop around the 3cwt, we were forging away and started hearing an extra knock, found the wedge loose so tightened it up, after a couple of blows the knock was back and the wedge was loose again, huh?  I had a look and discovered the front dovetail lump on the tup was cracking off…aaagh!

Couldn't face dismantling the workshop to put in a different hammer…but when I looked a bit closer I could see that it was a weld that was opening up…Huge relief, if it could work for at least three years with a weld then I could also just repair it now and then. We cleaned it up vee-d it out and TIG welded it with 312 rods and it has been working fine for the last 16 years or so.

The only other problem I had was the cylinder head cracking, and we machined one up out of a bit of 3" plate…

The only other problem I had (this is the third now in 20 years of use of a 60-90 year old machine!) was that my assistant assiduously greased the motor bearings too often and the grease got into the windings and I had to have it rewound :(

Rubbish reliability really!

Alan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im a bit late to the party, but a good rule of thumb for most things power hammery is 0.001" per inch clearance. (bearings, pistons, rams etc !)

I cant believe it had worn itself 0.100" clearance on the steel ram and only a few thou in the (much softer) cast iron cylinder. It must have been monkey'd around with by a previous owner, ram from a different machine or something !

Look forward to the vids :)