I Forge Iron

Propane rigs

DSW

Boosters I'm even more familiar with. ( typically referred to by the major brand name Haskel in the dive industry ) I used to boost  between 4000 and 8000 cf of O2 weekly, and one of those Haskels failing is how I got to spend a week in the burn ward in 2004 with 3rd degree burns on my arm

Major issue of boosting LP O2 to HP is heat. Doing that much gas compression can really get the temps up. boosting 60psi to 1000 psi isn't terrible. It can be done if you take your time. Boosting 60 to 2000 or higher, The gas gets hot almost immediately. Best way to do that is to boost in stages, 60 to say 500, let cool. Boost the 500psi to 1000, let cool. Boost the 1000psi to final pressure. Best is a 2 stage booster with a decent intercooler if you need to go from lower pressures to high ones.

Other down side to Haskels is that they need a huge volume of drive air.

Compressing oxy frankly scares the crap out of me and I'm about 15 rush hour minutes from the welding supply. I don't think the boost units we were talking about were for producing commercial quantities. The one Monica was researching is a micro booster and only produces small volumes.

The oxy generators we use or consider use filtered dried air from a shop compressor, IIRC 15cfm. feed volume. I haven't looked at the things since the late 80s though and my memory isn't so hot anymore. What I remember was the output was too low pressure and volume for my needs without spending a bunch more than I was willing. Even if I could get the volume up to useful levels the pressure was still too low. Nobody was talking about boosters then as I recall. Not at my level anyway.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi DSW,

I use an old magneto and spark plug to light my torch, I have a very short wire handle on the shaft, a quick flick and the torch is running. I find lighting with the mix already set is by far the best. Lighting propane and judging how much to crack both valves at higher hose pressures can be tricky and time consuming cos propane tends to flame out without some O2 particularly if it is windy.

I started out with a propane reg, no gauges, cheap and basic, I would have liked a flowmeter but couldn't find one at the time (and still dont have one).

Personally I would not bother with the rosebud unless you are heating a large area (like a heatshrink fit collar), it is just too hard to get the heat in the right spot and that wastes a lot of energy. I like the NXP style tips because the inserts seem to be easier to maintain, plus I cut a lot of heavy galv steel so a quick preheat is essential for me.

1502156-6290-1NXP.jpg?mw=400&mh=600

photo from harris group products

Hi DSW,

I use an old magneto and spark plug to light my torch, I have a very short wire handle on the shaft, a quick flick and the torch is running. I find lighting with the mix already set is by far the best. Lighting propane and judging how much to crack both valves at higher hose pressures can be tricky and time consuming cos propane tends to flame out without some O2 particularly if it is windy.

I started out with a propane reg, no gauges, cheap and basic, I would have liked a flowmeter but couldn't find one at the time (and still dont have one).

Personally I would not bother with the rosebud unless you are heating a large area (like a heatshrink fit collar), it is just too hard to get the heat in the right spot and that wastes a lot of energy. I like the NXP style tips because the inserts seem to be easier to maintain, plus I cut a lot of heavy galv steel so a quick preheat is essential for me.

photo from harris group products

I have a couple questions and comments.: First, when you say "propane reg" What exactly do you mean? A BBQ propane reg isn't going to cut it even though it puts out enough psi. There's no gauge on my Allstates propane reg and no adjustment. The supply needed is more volume than pressure so it's more of a meter than a pressure regulator. The oxy flowing through the handle passes a venturi and draws the correct amount of propane. The reg needs to be able to deliver enough volume, high pressure is actually a bad thing.

The Harris equivalent uses a venturi in the handle in addition to psi so the correct amount of propane is drawn into the system by the oxy flow. Bill recommends one of their single stage acet regs set at 1-2psi MAX. I'm still working on organizing the part numbers. soon I hope. <grin>

Trying to light the torch to adjust it in the wind is a PITA and the best argument I know for the thumb valve torch body. Adjust the torch one time and just turn it on or off at need. Similar to a gas saver but a LOT more portable being part of the handle.

I agree about the rosebud, I've only used one other than for the melt a cu/in demo twice I think in probably 25 or more years. In fact for most heating operations I use the cutting head/tip and have used the brazing head only a little more often than the rosebud.

Frosty The Lucky.

I use a small devilbiss oxygen generator attached to venturi forge burner. The oxygen generator does not supply enough o2 to run a rosebud or the burner directly but it does augment the supply of o2 entering the burner. It does not get as hot as a rosebud but it is hotter than the burner without it and is definitely more economical.

brad

NeatGuy,

What is the model number or size of the devilbiss oxygen generator? I see they sell a few sizes.

thanks

Ernest

: First, when you say "propane reg" What exactly do you mean? A BBQ propane reg isn't going to cut it even though it puts out enough psi. There's no gauge on my Allstates propane reg and no adjustment. The supply needed is more volume than pressure so it's more of a meter than a pressure regulator. The oxy flowing through the handle passes a venturi and draws the correct amount of propane. The reg needs to be able to deliver enough volume, high pressure is actually a bad thing.

I dont remember all the details Frosty it was more than 30 years ago when I purchased it. It is a Comet 500 (CIG industries) so that is a victor product, its rated to 450kPa.

photo of the current model

post-42888-0-01166200-1411516887_thumb.j

I dont remember all the details Frosty it was more than 30 years ago when I purchased it. It is a Comet 500 (CIG industries) so that is a victor product, its rated to 450kPa.

photo of the current model

No sweat, specific details aren't important so long as it has enough volume to work. And that'll more than do the job.

Frosty The Lucky.