I Forge Iron

brazing vs. welding, gas that is.

What is Welding?

Welding is the fusion of two like or dissimilar metals despite filler metal necessary needed or Not !

So Sarge, you think the American Welding Society is wrong, and you are correct? 

Very interesting. 

I submit that you have a lot to learn, 

From your own definition above, like or dissimilar metals.

Nice bandwagon but, sorry, the AWS is the final authority, never mind my experience.  Frosty displayed the genuine humility 

of a gentleman who has learned something new. 

It is always amazing to me, those who would limit their intake of knowledge to those facts professed by self-proclaimed experts in books. 

How on earth could technology advance were new discoveries not occurring?

As I said, I discovered the fusion welding via bronze electrode through the Metal-Inert Gas method some 35 years ago. 

Armed with the knowledge that said fusion was possible, I was then eventually able to do so with a torch as well. 

Had I not known and believed in this possibility I likely would never have done so. 

I did take a some pictures of a bronze-steel-cast iron fusion joint a few days ago. 

if this inane conversation continues I will post them. Posting pictures isn't easy for me.

Art,

Braze welding is a process of almost equal importance to the user of an oxy- acetylene welding outfit. It closely resembles fusion welding in several important respects. It is used to produce joints of excellent strength in steel, in cast iron, and in copper and some copper alloys. However, in braze welding, the filler metal always has a melting point well below the melting point of the base metal, and the base metal is never melted.

Years ago, the process we now term ”braze welding” was commonly known as ”bronze-welding”. Ever since the process was renamed ”braze welding”, there has existed a degree of confusion between the terms ”brazing” and ”braze welding”. The American Welding Society definitions for ”brazing” and ”braze welding” both stipulate that the filler metal must have a melting point above 425C (800F). However, the definitions state that in brazing the filler metal is drawn into a tight-fitting joint by capillary attraction; in braze welding the filler metal is deposited in the joint by other than capillary attraction. We shall talk about the use of the flame in brazing operations in another chapter.

Ret, Sgt. Robert D. Yates

And Yes I am a Member of the AWS and also a Ret, Teacher from the **(APG) I know Very well what their Books State in them Art I use to Teach in Aberdeen Proving Grounds MD.**(APG)

I am not going to argue as to what you accomplished with a torch and a rod or what you wish to call your technique Sir .

Afttist, 

"bronze-steel-cast iron fusion joint":  sounds like a picture I would like to see. 

Sgt. Yates, 

The brazing rod I have right now will melt under an air propane torch so that seems to be closer to the 425 C then the melting point of steel, What should I ask for at the local welding shop if I want something that would be on the same lines (strength wise) as a mild steel O/A weld?

thanks

Ernest. 

Ernest,

I would simply ask for a O/A GP(general purpose)  Flux Coated Rod in some stores Known as (LFB FC)  it has a 50,000 to 65,000 tensile strength, heat range @ 1670° F to 1750° F . or simply clean the steel very well and use a pencil rod and torch O/A to sew it up as per needed for your project . and use Borax for flux .  also a standard Old Coat hanger can be used depending on the project at hand . However you did not specify just what you were welding .