I Forge Iron

RR spike Hat/ coat rack on "Hit & Miss" textured 2" flat bar

David Kailey

Yes I know RR spikes have been done to death, but hey lets kick that dead horse one more time.

bla bla bla lol and here it is.

left head and point intact, drew out the middle to about 2.5 x original length. folded point over its self, bent the hook, and twisted. Punched holes.

post-25393-0-39604800-1408764859_thumb.jpost-25393-0-51072700-1408764868_thumb.j

24" x 1/4" x 2" Flat bar. 1 1/4" from end I necked the bar down to 1" wide and then drew out the ends then rounded all the corners off. Texture was done with a straight peen hammer and it is "hit and miss" meaning don't texture every inch of the bar and use very heavy hammer blows moving accross the bar.

post-25393-0-64614500-1408764873_thumb.jpost-25393-0-49295700-1408764877_thumb.j

Punched the bar then welded the back side of hooks so they don't swivel, hey why not I got a welder right here. Placed rivits in the hole, cut off the extra on the back and welded them also------I got a welder right here, then I finished the piece off with some bees wax, cause the bees wax just makes that iron dead sexy, oh you know what i am talking about!!!!

post-25393-0-62291000-1408764884_thumb.jpost-25393-0-20719400-1408764892_thumb.jpost-25393-0-74357000-1408764898_thumb.j

It ends up being 30" long x 14" wide

Thanks for viewing

That should sell real well. I would suggest, since you live in the USA, you make the next piece 32 inches betwixt boltholes, then you can market it as being friendly with conventional framing practices.Ironwork mounted with plastic sheetrock anchors will irritate customers in a couple years.

That should sell real well. I would suggest, since you live in the USA, you make the next piece 32 inches betwixt boltholes, then you can market it as being friendly with conventional framing practices.Ironwork mounted with plastic sheetrock anchors will irritate customers in a couple years.

I agree, any thing that lines up with the framing is great. Good Call. Although my luck has always been that the framing dose not line up with were I want to center the piece!!!! It like the framers are doing it on purpose!!!! lol

Very nice work, hoss.  I love how you staggered the hooks to make it different.  Really makes the whole thing pop!

And you're right about the beeswax making the iron look great.  I've started using Johnson's paste floor wax because it has beeswax and carnuba in it.  Very sexy look!